Life as a Freelance SciCommer in India
This SciComm Foster aims to introduce the participants to the nuances of being a freelance science communicator in India. Through this Foster, we would like to introduce and discuss the important aspects of freelancing as a science communicator in India. This SciComm Foster is for you if you are a
- A Masters student, PhD or Postdoc fellow and anywhere in between
- Looking to become a freelance science communicator in the near future or later
- Are already a science communicator but want to become independent and become a freelancer
- Are a beginner science communicator and want to understand the dynamics of freelancing
- An artist wanting to understand and learn the rules of the realm of digital illustrations.
- Any student or researcher in the sciences wanting to learn 3D illustrations for their study or research purposes.
When: 24/07/2021, 2000 IST
Last date to apply: 24/07/2021
SciCommSouls — The Life of a SciCommer
SciCommSouls: The Life of a SciCommer is our brand new Show where we unravel the journey of an Indian Science Communicator (SciCommer) every episode. Along the way, we pit stop at various stages of their life and ask our SciComm Souls to ponder over what bought them there and share it with us. A chat show with Science Communicators, because, why not! You walk away with
- A better understanding of the SciComm world
- Motivation and inspiration to communicate Science.
- Ideas, a direction, answers and potentially more questions to explore that will make your science communication efforts more meaningful and effective.
Join us on our new show, SciComm souls: The Life of a SciCommer, as we take you through the highs and lows of the personal journeys of Science Communicators in India. Click below and register yourselves to remind you to join us for every episode and stay up to date on trivia before and after every episode!
Join us every alternate Saturday at 2000 IST on YouTube or LinkedIn, live!
Welcome to the World of 3D Illustrations using Blender
This SciComm Foster aims to discuss and learn the basics of using Blender, open-source and free software to create 3D illustrations to communicate science. The Foster is somewhat technical in terms of understanding the software and using illustrations as a solid driving force for effective science communication to the intended audience. It is a three-day Foster with two live sessions, including a feedback session for the submitted assignments. You walk away with
- Understanding the basics of the software – Blender.
- Learn the basic principles of making 3D illustrations.
- Personalised feedback from the mentor on how best you can improvise on your ideas.
- A whole lot of resources to get you started in becoming an independent scientific 3D illustrator!
This SciComm Foster is a four-week long engagement where we will help you build your own platform or SciComm Space. You could consider a SciComm Space as a blog, portfolio, or website for all the science communication efforts you make. You walk away with
- A SciComm Space of your own!
- Personalised feedback from the mentor on how best you can build and optimise your platform.
- A step-by-step handbook and checklist for building YOSS! — a resource available to you, for life!
- A community to support and be accountable to each other while building your own platform.
SciComm Lite 1.0
SciComm Lite 1.0 is a workshop that encourages novice science communicators to deepen their understanding of the field of science communication. This workshop is a series of talks and activities that introduces/provide insights to students or researchers in the sciences to some of the important concepts/elements of science communication as a career. It is specifically targeted at beginners who are wanting to explore science communication as a career. The size of the cohort will intentionally be kept low to provide the participants with an immersive experience.