Get your hands and books dirty with this activity-filled SciComm Foster.
With Manasi Apte
What this SciComm Foster offers
This SciComm Foster aims to introduce the elements of ‘storytelling’ to relate, engage and connect with your audiences. Storytelling is a learned skill and can be experienced, practised (and mastered) by any science communicator. This foster will offer you a flavour of hands-on activities (backed by experiences and research) to help you understand how storytelling can morph your science message. Not just that, it will help you identify your ‘own’ storytelling style because, to each their own, and the more unique, the better!
If you think that this is only for Science writers, you are absolutely wrong. Storytelling transcends formats and mediums of science communication. Come, join us where we discuss, understand, and practice –
- The StoryMAP
- Creating connections and building a narrative
- Principles of communicating science through storytelling
- How to be inclusive in our science storytelling?
- and more…
This SciComm Foster is for you if you are (but not limited to)
This SciComm Foster welcomes anyone with the willingness to listen, share, engage to participate. Skills and learnings through this foster will be widely useful across the education, proficiency, and career levels. It is especially beneficial if you are –
- Students and fellows pursuing undergraduate, masters, doctoral or post-doctoral degrees and STEM professionals who would like to narrate their study/research better
- Aspiring science writers, artists, podcasters or other science communicators
- Someone looking to learn and improve your communication efforts
You walk away with
- Identifying your own preferred format/s or media for storytelling
- Understanding core principles of story structure and how to effectively use them in science communication
- Do’s and Don’ts of Science storytelling
- Personalized review, feedback and suggestions on how to best optimize your storytelling approach
- Peer-to-peer networking and collaboration opportunities with scicommers who share the same passion for storytelling
Format of the Foster
This foster is built around a multi-live-sessions engagement experience where we will spend 90 min each session sharing our stories, discussing them, and participating in fun exercises and activities. The format is set to help us be more focused, creative, and productive while communicating science stories.
About the Mentor — Manasi Apte
Manasi is a Scientist and Communicator trained in Microbiology and Genetics. She is currently working as a research associate at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. Manasi is currently working with several initiatives in the United States and India for more than a decade. Manasi believes in building connections via communications and for her, impactful storytelling is the way for connecting any two ideas, data points, stories, and people. She recently got featured in a STEMterview and is one of the #WomeninSTEM role models.
|21/08/2021||1700 IST||Registration closes|
|21/08/2021||1900 – 2030 IST||Live Session – 1|
|22/08/2021||1900 – 2030 IST||Live Session – 2|
Please address any queries to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line including the phrase – “Storytelling SciComm Foster”.